- You cannot control time. Time doesn’t belong to anyone – It can never be managed.
- Time is not a resource, it can never be stopped, reversed, or saved for later use.
- Time is a measurement, which simply moves on – Every moment is every passing second.
- “If you don’t use it, you will lose it” – As every second goes by, every second of your life is gone…
- Everyone, even the most powerful or the richest, has 168hrs per week, 24 hrs per day. No more no less – The same as you.
What Is Time Management?
Based on the above, There’s no such thing as time management; only Self Management. To me, The concept is should be known as Time-based Self Management. But i guess someone along the line shortcut it to Time Management.
Time Management is about the application of a system or systems on how we function with efficiency and effectiveness based on the measure of time. We can come up with a lot of system variations but you must choose the one that suits you best.
In its essence, it is about how we can do things…
- How fast can you get things done?
- How much faster can you improve?
- More Efficient
- More Effective
- Better Prepared
- Doing things that increase your power
- Stop doing things that decrease your power
Common tools that we can used to aid us in the mastery of best use of our time comes in the forms of:
- The Handy Notebook (For ideas recording, reminders and whatever brilliance the mind may forget in a moment)
- Task Priority Matrix (Identifying Important and Urgent task as well as task that can be delegated or avoid doing)
- Organizers / Planners / Reminders (Calendars, Schedules, To Do list, Checklists)
- Time Trackers (Software, Timers, Stopwatch, Alarms)
- Information Processing (Document Handling Methods / Filing System)
- Categorizing Tools (Storage Boxes, Labels, Shelves, Setting Rules)
- Focus Tools (Working in your best time slots / Setting Time Challenges / Competition / Accountability Partners)
- Time Defenders (Post it Notes, Do Not Disturb sign, Phone Answering Machine, Audio Headset)
- Energy Boosters (Good sleeping habits, Quality sleeping condition, Energy supplements, Healthy exercise and diet)
Why You Should Learn Time Management Skills?
Benefits of good time management skills – you can:
- Be more productive in whatever you do
- Reducing stress by being able to act proactively and calmly
- Overcome time wastage
- Declutter your life
- Gain confidence, self-esteem and sense of personal power as you move towards your goal
- Prioritize, plan and perform tasks effectively
- Faster in accomplishing goals by being more efficient and effective
- Working less by being more effective time wise
- Meeting deadlines with assurance
- Have a simplified and more balanced lifestyle with proper structure and order
- Start your day being more prepared in handling whatever situation that arise
- Gain time freedom
- Able to have more time for yourself: “Your Time, Your Choice”
- Become a better human – Child, Spouse, Parent, Buddy, Friends, etc
- Turn dreams to reality
Brian Tracy’s 6 Time Management Tips to Increase Productivity
- Prepare In Advance The Previous Night
- Schedule Your Time – Appointments, reminders, deadlines, etc.
- Start Early With A Clear Head
- Organizational Skill – Having a filing system
- Increase Your Productivity – Working at your best hours
- Travel Productivity – Maximize the time used on travelling, especially in the air.
Stay tuned for more Time Productivity Learning!